Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Baby Shower of Blessings

Just when I least deserve it, my Heavenly Father showers me with unexpected blessings. I have been a royal grump today, whining and complaining about things that I should be handling with grace. Instead of giving me what I have earned (a good whack or two with a 2x4!), He gives me more, more, more of His love, more of His goodness, more of His tender mercies.

In the mail, today, from a dear, sweet sister-in-Christ, I recieved a gift for our new baby-in-waiting:

Sweet toile (covered in BUNNIES!), satin-y ribbon, snuggly chenille. In a classic sage-y green, just in case--I assume--our expected baby girl turns out to be a bouncing boy! Does it get any more precious than this?

This will be our eighth baby, and let me tell you, if you're not acquainted with many large families, the baby showers ended (understandably) a few babies back, so a gift like this is truly a wonderful surprise!

My dear friend, you have touched my heart today, and encouraged me to once again "Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things." (Colossians 3:2 NIV) Can a gift of "earthly things" do that? Yes, it can. Because it reminds me of how much my Father cares for even the smallest of my needs--no, not only needs, but wishes too--and causes me to desire nothing more than to rest in His presence, trusting Him for the Big Things as well as the small.

Dear Sister, may the blessings of the Lord be outpoured on you and your family, abundantly more than you could ever ask or imagine. Thank you.

1 comment:

Angel said...

did she ever wear them?